Thursday, February 6, 2014

Sinulog 2014 Celebration - On The Streets

The Sights...   The Sounds...   The Vibe...   

One week before this prestigious festival, the streets of Cebu already becomes vibrant and lively. The Sinulog beat can be felt just about anywhere: inside the malls, in the restaurants, private establishments, public offices, bars, in the streets, etc. For me, this was a good time to explore the city since it has lesser crowd and you can also appreciate more the beauty of Cebu without any undivided attention.

THE GIGANTIC DISPLAYS
The most awaited attraction in the heart of Cebu, Fuente Osmena Circle, was these gigantic displays featuring the image of Snr. Sto. Nino. Penshoppe and Bambi Oil were among the biggest companies in the country who sponsored the said displays. I'm always excited to photographed these beautiful designs every year because each year was always different. It's free though, no payment needed. These huge displays were just right to add a little stir to the festival.

THE SNAKY TRUTH
You can't miss this guy for he has got the biggest, creepy snake in town and he only was allowed to go out into the streets with his snake pet during the Sinulog Festival. This was one attraction that I'm always prepared to do: to take a photo with the mighty pet. There were actually two of them roaming aroun Fuente Osmena Circle. One was this oldie guy and the other were mere teenage boys. They don't ask for a fixed price but just donations. Snakes are unpredictable and anything can go wrong. What if your sparkly smile could trigger the snake to bite you whole? Gosh, I hope not! Because my smile here was perfect!

THE BODY ART
Yes, indeed! These hennas, face paints, sticker tattoos and other body arts never ceases. These were the ultimate body accessory that one could wear during the festival and acceptable too, in all establishments in the city even if you still have that on you after the festival.
I got myself a henna and its a rosary design and Chinese characters that meant peace, beauty, and friend. Hennas don't dry up fast so if you like to get one make sure to really curl up your sleeves to avoid unnecessary taints. The price was negotiable and wasn't really expensive. These artists, mostly guys, were just about everywhere the streets. I got mine 3 days before the celebration to avoid any inconvenience to myself.

THE NAIL ART
My nails, too, were festival ready! I used local brand polishes which were very affordable. I believe what international brand polishes could do to a nail can also be done by a local brand polish. So why bother buying expensive ones? Right? 

Well, I had to have a visual first of what I would want to put on my nails. On my pinkie I call it "the confetti", on the ring its "banderitas", on the middle its "the Sinulog Hat", on my pointer finger which I'm proud of is "the silhouette of Snr Sto Nino", and on my thumb "the label". I had so much fun painting nails. Anyone could design and avoid the trouble of going to a nail parlor. I enjoyed it as well as saved an extra penny.

THE FOODIES
The largest gathering of BBQ sellers could be found right at the Fuente Osmena Circle. There were also other foodies to choose from. An ideal business location to earn and enjoy. Aside from eating, a stage was also set-up by the Cebu City Government to hold programs like singing contest, variety show, musical show and others. SM City Mall also hold a bazaar showcasing Cebu's best and also invited other individuals who wanted to promote their products. CHinO's for example was selling sumptuous eats . I simply loved their Ultimate Steak.

THE STREET PARTIES
Globe also participated in the Sinulog Festival. Their booth was located at IT Park Cebu and admission was free for all globe and non subscribers. It was a day of fun and laughter with friends.
They also gave out freebies to individuals that won on their very simple games. I won these globe hats just for scoring in a balloon basketball.
The long day at the Sinulog parade always ends up here at Mango Square. Thousands of people from all over the place flocked here to enjoy, have fun, drink, bond, and celebrate the once a year festivity. Not just here though but in any corner of the vicinity you will always find groups cheering and dancing and just happy.
Bond with friends and meet people.
Party!!! Party!!!
Sinulog Festival in Cebu is so much fun especially if enjoyed with your loved ones. I did enjoy my Sinulog, too much! How about you? :-)


Ciao!!!


1 comment: