Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Siargao Island: The Surfer's Paradise

Ohh yess!!! I visited the Surfing Capital of the Philippines!!!!And I'm so ready to learn how to surf!
The warmest sun, the best waters, and the finest sand all of which best describes the island. There was no dull moment, just pure fun and excitement. And of course surfing was the top priority but the island itself was too rich to be focused on one single activity, that's why me and my bunchies explored the island to our heart's content. 


WELCOME TO SIARGAO...
Getting to Siargao Island was quite a trip. We took a plane from Cebu to Surigao and from there we took a 3-4 hours boat trip going to Siargao. Why we did that? Well, it was just for the sake of exploration. The scenery was awesome and of course more bonding moments with my bunchies!
We arrived at the port area late in the afternoon. The sun sets beautifully. We arrived at our precious hotel and as the night enveloped the island, we grabbed a drink to the nearest pub full of foreigners and travelers alike in our area. 

ISLAND HOPPING...
Morning comes and I'm so so excited! The boat, the food and the atmosphere were just so surf ready. We were all off to venture out into the seas. Siargao's island hopping includes three (3) amazing islands: Dako Island, Naked Island, and Guyam Island. All were unique and all were equally astonishing.

DAKO ISLAND
"Dako" simply means big so, it is a Big Island. And obviously it is! The long stretch of white sand beach was beautiful. It reminds of Boracay Island way back when it was still newly discovered and no resort hotels were built yet on the shores.

NAKED ISLAND
Naked island is more like a sand bar. No form of trees or shade is covering the entirety of the land which makes it attractive to be here and to appreciate its beauty. The sun's rays unforgivably strikes your skin that's why if one is too conscious about their skin color then I don't think this place is in their favor.

GUYAM ISLAND
I described it as a rocky island. The rock formations were exquisite though and it does have that fine white sand character.

TIME TO SURF!!!
After enjoying all three islands we went back to Dako Island to relax and of course to learn free surf lessons from our ever energetic guide. Balance is the key. It was really hard at first to balance your whole body in this tiny piece of plank but I got used to it. Watch for waves. Although the waves in Dako Island were not as huge and as frequent as the ones in the famous Cloud 9, still it was worth it for me as a novice.
The deal was that as soon as the waves came, we should be ready to glide with it and to Stand Up from the board! But I wasn't able to. I was just always on my knees which was a little frustrating but definitely fun!
Our Siargao experience was indeed a lot of fun! I've learned the basics of surfing though I wasn't able to perfect it but still I learned. The trip was perfect! As we went back we brought with us a delicacy called "Sayongsong" from Surigao. Yes, we still took that slow boat back to Surigao. It was pretty much exhausting but nevertheless, we had so much fun!

'Till my next adventure!
Ciao!


1 comment: