Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Exploring Surigao del Sur: The Enchanting Hinatuan Enchanted River

This was the first time I've been to Surigao del Sur. I don't think I would ever be here without my beautiful friend who resides in this place. The wonderful places in Surigao del Sur I would say were really hidden, cared under the embrace of mother nature. I've never realized how big and well known the place was until that moment.

THE ENCHANTED RIVER

To be honest, I've never heard of this place. I absolutely don't have any idea what legends and critics wrote about it. After that tedious never-ending road trip, me and my berks finally arrived here. The road going here was quiet and was like going to nowhere that was why when I saw vans, private cars, rented multicabs, and crowds of people close by at the entrance of the place, I was so overwhelmed. I didn't expect that this place was that popular. 
The Hinatuan river is said to flow right into the heart of the Pacific ocean. The "Enchanted River" as the name denotes was truly enchanting and mystifying. Many stories, supernatural ones, have emerged about this mystical river. Some locals would say about sightings of fairies, some would tell about people who went for a swim but never returned, lost folks, and others would speak of the bizarre things they've seen. All of these just made the Enchanted River very enticing.
On the road going here my friend told us how blue the water was. Now that I've seen it, I never thought it was that blue! The scenery was remarkable and no place could compare it. People from different cities flocked the area and I was still overwhelmed to know that the place attracted so many people. 
The water was like photo enhanced upon the mere sight of it. The color was not uniform but a faded blue, more like azure and the center of the river was more darker. It could be that the sun helped enhanced its color or this was what the folks were telling about the river's mystery. Well, there was this big hole at the center of the river which made the color to appear more darker blue. The water tasted a little salty, maybe that was because of the ocean next to it. Some tales would also suggest that its saltiness was a mystery. Little fishes too, could be seen swimming freely. By 12:00 o'clock, the bell rang and everyone were asked to get off the water. It was time for lunch for the fishes of course! After that feeding hour, big fishes slowly disappeared.
We saw these folks jumping and diving joyfully. Some wore life jackets and others who were tough enough to test the water wore no protection at all.
These stairs lead to the mini diving spot. There were actually a number of diving enthusiasts during our visit.
Part of the river was deep and the current was a little strong so we just stayed close to the little shore.
Enchanted River, whatever tales of the locals would be, to me this place would remain special. This was one of those places in the country where I would perhaps visit only ones due to its location so, memories built here were forever be cherished.



Ciao!



My Surigao trip continues: 



1 comment: