Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sand Dunes 4x4 Adventure

PAOAY -
A wonderful municipality in the province of Ilocos Norte, located in the northern part of the Philippines. The place is home to the famous Paoay Church (San Agustin Church) and the Sand Dunes (4x4 and sandboarding adventure). 



PAOAY SAND DUNES 4X4 ADVENTURE



For thrill seekers out there Paoay Sand dunes 4x4 adventure is the most sought after activity here in Ilocos Norte, I for one was looking forward to try out this extreme sport. Me and my berks went here to experience the thrill and excitement first hand. 


The sand dunes was by the way a favorite for filmmakers. Movies like "Panday" and "Born on the 4th of July" were shot here.



Meet the all-star casts of adventure seekers!
4X4 RIDE
This was our 4x4 ride. We didn't really know what was coming since this was our first time to try out this extreme activity. At first, we were quite hesitant about all this since first, there were no protective gear to wear second, standing up was the most reasonable position. 



Our guide/driver told us standing was much better than sitting if you want to have that adrenaline rush so as to avoid having painful butt since the road will be very bumpy. Third, the only thing that you can grab on were the handles placed side by side. I thought they made another steel handle the one at the back side. 





The sand dunes occupied a vast area in the north. I was so overwhelmed by the extensive land formation. As far as my eyes could see, it was just sand everywhere! This was amazing to think that this could be found in our country.
Here's another picturesque view.
The trails going around the sand dunes were very exciting. We headed up to a very steep slope, then a sudden downward motion which felt like the 4x4 ride was going to flip over and then while you were still coping, another abrupt right and left movement was done. And all of these were done simultaneously. How crazy! Though my entire body ached it was so much fun. Kudos to our amazing guide/driver he did made our 4x4 experience a lot of fun!
Me and my berks enjoying the wonderful view in front of us.
SANDBOARDING

This was the best part! For me to experience sandboarding was definitely memorable. 

We arrived at the perfect spot for us to try out this sport. As any other extreme activity, a short lecture was conducted by our ever energetic guide. No fancy gears!







THE BOARD


This was one of the boards that we used. This was of course provided by our guide. The board have two straps big enough to fit all foot sizes and I was on barefoot all through out. I simply love the feel of the sand on my foot. 






I was kind of nervous to try the first time for I might flip over but then I realized I would land on a sand so I guessed it won't hurt. And I even went for another round. It was tiring the moment you land at the bottom 'cause that would mean you have to climb up with a board on your hand which was kinda heavy.
I haven't done a full stand up position though I tried really hard. It was just impossible for me every time I tried. I don't know. But as they say practice makes perfect so I just kept going.

























And finally I gave up mainly because I was tired. 
It was indeed a great experience. I don't think that there's another sandboarding in our country as vast as this place. So if you happen to visit Ilocos Norte, don't forget to visit here. It will surely complete your itinerary.




Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment