Saturday, November 30, 2013

Side Trips in Ilocos Norte: Paoay Church, Patapat Viaduct & Cape Bojeador Lighthouse

I just have to see these amazing wonders in Ilocos Norte. I'm already here so better check 'em out! I have learned that Ilocos Norte was very rich in history. I've never imagined seeing these wonders in person 'cause back then these were just in print from my thickest history book. My trips to Paoay Church, Patapat Viaduct & Cape Bojeador Lighthouse were just short due to time constraints but to me, these side trips completed my Ilocos Norte itinerary and I'm fulfilled that I didn't missed any of it!

PAOAY CHURCH
Its called Church of Saint Augustine but popularly known to many as "Paoay Church" and just like any other old churches a bell tower was present. This was actually a Baroque kind of church architecture.

We were so thrilled to be here. This was one of  my favorite church in terms of its architecture in the country.

 PATAPAT VIADUCT
Wow! This was just an awesome sight early in the morning. NO cars, NO passersby, just US! Patapat Viaduct looked peaceful in the morning with the view of the Pasaleng Bay alongside, nothing gets better than this.
Patapat Viaduct to me was like a curvy-zigzag road, that was made during the reign of the late Pres. Marcos. The elevation of this concrete bridge was about 31 meters over sea level and it connects the Maharlika Highway from Laoag, Ilocos Norte to the Cagayan Valley Region. Truly is amazing!
Having the opportunity to see this viaduct before sunrise felt like being the first person to witness its glory. I was so glad I've had this chance, even for just a short time.
The huge Pagudpud signage. 

CAPE BOJEADOR LIGHTHOUSE
The lighthouse was elevated and so we've gone up and there we saw a wonderful view of Cape Bojeador and the South China Sea. The concrete stairways made it easy for us, for any visitors actually to come up. 
Cape Bojeador Lighthouse is also known as the "Burgos Lighthouse", and is a National Historical Landmark which means me being here is history. The tower also have that octagonal shape which was unique in a way since most towers goes for a pointed structure. The lighthouse was functional to this date as it continues to guide seafarers.
I'm really fascinated with old structures just like the tower which was made of bricks. It wasn't that huge though, but it did offer wonderful view of the place and was very accessible. 
I thought the tower was a good location for photo shoots specially for engagement sessions. I was so lucky to have taken this shot since there were less visitors at that time. As per the locals in the area, most often the lighthouse was flooded with tourists which made it impossible to get a good photo.
Even for just a short period of time I was so glad to be here. This is a national treasure and not all folks would have the opportunity to be here. Lucky me!





Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Playgroup Singapore great architecture in the church. and relaxing driving at the coastal road :D

    ReplyDelete